Saturday, May 03, 2008

Oh! Oh! Those Summer Nights!

I've realized that, while it feels like I've been telling everyone everything it's just not so! So here's the full scoop on our coming back to Texas and the summer plans we have made and will make...

Scott's accepted a position at the University of Texas PhD program - he'll get a TA'ship, which pays for tuition and adds insurance and a $13,000 stipend. We'll live in Austin and hopefully I'll get a job at the university. We're also planning on "living green" - doing eco-friendly things like taking the shuttle (heh...nevermind that it is also quite stress-friendly and wallet-friendly!), drying clothes out in the warm Texas sun and being conscious of what we have plugged in and why. Eventually (hopefully in a year's time) we'll buy a house and be able to put some of the more lasting changes and ideas I've got into motion...but that's really another blog post.

Anyways, we'll move up to Austin in August...or when I get a job, whichever comes first. If you know of good, friendly companies in the central Austin area, let me know - right now that University is my main focus, but I'm open to alternative suggestions.

The beginning of the summer is chock full of adventure - we'll fly in all the way to Abilene (due to using AAdvantage miles for one ticket, this costs less than the gas my folks would have used to pick us up) on the 13th of May (wow, less than 2 weeks, yay!). My mom has planned a family vacation, so we're going to immediately hop in the car and head to South Padre Island (see picture of our SPI bungalow on right) on the 14th. I won't even have time to pack for that trip! I'm trusting the Momma and the Swissa to do all that for us!

We'll get back from SPI on the 18th, spend most of that week getting Scott's car in shape and inspected. Possible side-trips include seeing Prince Caspian with friends, playing Super Smash Bros with friends and generally, hanging out with awesome Abilene friends. (But there's lots of time for that later, too!)

The following weekend is the 23rd - 25th ...my birthday is the 23rd, we're heading to Dallas to celebrate. Mom hath reserve'd the earlier parts of the Birth-Day for celebrating with family, depending on Dallas plans, we might even decide to head there on Saturday...but I don't know about that...I anticipate late night shennanigans and I want to be on top of my game...i.e. not stepping right out of the car to go see the movie!

Right now, the Dallas plans are looking to happen on that Saturday, the 24th, I think we've got some friends who may cook some good grilled foods (cross fingers!) and we'll gather a group together to go see Indiana Jones at the matinee (being penny pinchers). We may also plan random $2 movie on Sunday or random playing of Wii...or watching of Dr. Who...or whatever, we'll see. I think asides from Saturday, we'll be playing it by ear. We have a place to stay in Dallas (thanks Heidi-chan!) and lots of friends to party with...the good times, they shall also roll.

There's a slight chance we'll find enough people with money that we'll go to Scarbie on the 26th, but probably we'll be headed up to Scott's folk's lake house at Possum Kingdom (my heart just shivers at the money we'll be spending on GAS!)

After that, we'll spend the rest of May with Scott's folks in Wichita Falls and the first bit of June is reserved for visiting his family in Oklahoma. Then back to Abilene to live, pack and begin a job hunt.

Once I get some interviews lined up, we'll move the job hunt to a friend's house in Austin. We're really hoping to be settled in Austin before our 2nd anniversary - the absolute dream would be that I got a job at the University starting some time in July and the University Housing would come available at that same time.

We are decidedly psyched about moving down to Austin - we have lots of friends there and the town is so pretty and interesting. We also have lots of friends in the Houston/College Station area...so, time and money permitting, we'd love to go to CS sometime at the end of the summer. And if time and money run out, that'll definitely be our first weekend trip of the fall. Mmmmm Texas fall.... I am SO looking forward to Texas weather. I have missed my sunshine to a dreadful degree!

So, that's the full scoop, my friends! If you have any input to put-in, then do let me know! We are definitely looking forward to spending fun times with all of ya'll - whether in Abilene or Dallas or Austin or wherever!

No comments: