Thursday, January 24, 2008

Step One...figure out what the heck is going on!

As my friend Ryan and I used to say "knowing is half the battle, figuring it out is about 50%...which leaves a whole 17% for doing!" (I know, I know...but the bad math was the whole POINT!) Anywho, today I am on step one of figuring out taxes for the Texan who is temporarily living & working in Canada. (i.e. Me!) And I really, truly do believe that figuring out what is going on here is going to be by far the hardest part. After that, all I have to do is get the right forms and fill them out. And, after many, many sessions of college & graduate school applications, I am quite the expert form-filler-outer.

So, I have explored the websites...both Canadian & US Federal (thank goodness Texas doesn't have STATE taxes!) ...and now I have e-mailed the helping people. Hopefully I shall hear back from my chosen advisors soon and I can move on to the next phase. Sometime soon (the next gap day between jobs, probably) I'll go by my bank, HSBC, and play the "clueless but cute foreign girl" card to get some free advice on the Canadian side of things.

No comments: