Monday, October 26, 2009

Life has consequences

"Live Life to the Fullest" is a saying that I usually whole-heartedly endorse. But sometimes I realize that it needs a caveat, or at least, an addendum. Because when you live life to the "fullest" you leave little room for rest, relaxation and adjustment. You're always going full speed ahead and you can't ever stop. This weekend was wonderful, amazing, enjoyable, and very, very full.

On Friday I arrived home to a surprise delivery. Our good friends in Abilene had sent us a gift - a game called Dominion that we had thoroughly enjoyed playing with them last weekend. This gift, of course, had to be USED! So I called our friend Craig, who is often up for some last-minute-fun, and invited him over for an impromptu game-time. We picked up some tasty Bun from a local Vietnamese restaurant and proceeded to thoroughly enjoy ourselves. Scott was glad for the break, I was glad for the fun times with friends - it was an excellent way to begin the weekend.

Unlike most Fridays, though, we didn't stay up too late - because we had to get up way too early for a Saturday to get Scott to his conference on time. I then proceeded to search for about 30 minutes until I found the Habitat for Humanity ReStore (I forgot the exact location, and left my cell phone @ home). Eventually finding the place (I now know where it is and shall not lose it again!), I proceeded to purchase a door, a faucet & some rope. Little did I know that each and every one of my purchases had a flaw!

I'm going to stop for a moment here and highlight the phrase "Little did I know" - because it's worth a second look. It's one of those "indicators of doom" that you instantly recognize. Just sayin'. DOOM!

So, flaws: The biggest & most obvious was that the door was not the right size. The hinge holes were in the wrong place. So I had to return the door, bringing along part of the old door to show where the hinges were supposed to be. Then I looked at the faucet - the faucet was not the faucet that was pictured in the box. Fortunately, I decided I liked this new faucet equally well to the one pictures and furthermore, was not picky. The rope - well, I bought the rope to hold the door in the car. Completely unnecessary. So, the rope was not so much flawed as superfluous. Ah well.

The 2nd door (having returned one door and come home with door with right hinges, then hung said door (not easy with only 1 person & very heavy door!), was too wide. Furthermore, I knew that the narrower door would be too narrow! So, I decided to narrow-fy the door and widen the door frame. This required the purchasing of a plane, so I was off to Home Depot. Needless to say, I opted for the $8 manual plane, rather than an electronic one that would not allow me the pleasure of working my butt off and really earning this closing door.

Oh, and just FYI - I salvaged the old door handle off of the old (and literally fallen to pieces, not to mention defaced) door. It has a lock, which we will have to be careful not to engage, as we have no key.

Then, at about 4:30, I go pick up Scott and we head to a TEMA party (Texas E-something Medievalists Association) that is about 40 minutes southwest of Austin. But the view of the sun setting was worth it - also the Indian food & the cheese & wine. We were the youngest people there by at least 5 years. But it was interesting.

So, we get home at about 9:30ish, maybe a little later. We are ready to decompress. I am too tired to play our new board game (also fun for 2 people, major plus!), so we pull out the bed-couch and settle down for Stargate: Ark of Truth. About 20 minutes into the movie, we hear a very emphatic knocking on our door, followed by...Christmas carols?

It is Mom & Lynna! Surprise visit! Wow! Talk about surprise! We are, of course, absolutely delighted & flabbergasted to see them. Scott gets very hyped up and cannot go to sleep. I end up going to sleep at about half-past midnight. I have no idea when he came to bed.

Late bedtime aside, my joy at having my Mom with me for the second weekend in a row means I cannot stay abed and I am up not much after 8AM. 's gonna be a loooong day.

We clean the kitchen.
We play board games.
We purchase a salt grinder.
We eat burritos.

It is very, very, very good. I am happy, I am tired. I am glad to see our small drop-in visitor kitten head off to her new home. It is only 3pm.

I play Portal.
I am too tired to play Portal.
I am too tired to stop playing Portal & do something else.
Scott grades papers.
We head to house church.

So, after house church I am pretty much exhausted, both physically & emotionally. But I am too awake to go to sleep. So I don't get to bed until after midnight, and don't go to sleep 'til after 1AM.

Today is a very, very slow day. I'm glad that there's nothing terribly intensive going on because I could not handle intense at this particular juncture.

This blog post is more about me processing this weekend than informing others about it. This coming week is very full - but I hopefully shall find the time to rest and breathe - because on Friday night, there is a party at our place and I really, truly want to have a most excellent time.

Now I've just gotta come up with a costume for said party!

No comments: