Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Searching for Inspiration

Okay, today is November 5th. I am officially behind in my writing. I didn't write yesterday. Not because I was engrossed with watching a US map being slowly colored in by the votes of the populace, but because I couldn't stand the idea of sitting in front of a computer screen. Honestly, I barely got with the sitting. Mostly I slouched (something you cannot do in an office chair & office clothes). Mostly I played Final Fantasy X. Mostly I did. not. write. Grrrr. But it's okay. Because ya'll are gonna bug me if I don't write for at least an hour tonight, right? RIGHT? 

In other news, I did occasionally switch from channel 3 awesomeness to Any Other Channel (except the CW) and check on the election. Yes, they apparently decided that this historic election was more important than the adventures of Ziva, Tony, Abby, Ducky, Tim & Gibbs. This, of course, disrupted my Tuesday enormously. I get my warm fuzzies from watching slaps up the back of the head and a happy goth forensic scientist with a caffeine addiction. And yes, the lack of NCIS did indeed mess up my night. I am a creature of habit. Fortunately, despite frustrating programming decisions on the part of CBS, I managed to get to sleep relatively quickly and slept fairly well. 

Okay, so the big news of the day is that we have a new President-elect, right? And, living in a liberal city in a conservative state, I feel like the only reason this hasn't been the only thing on people's tongues is that I'm at work. And you're not supposed to talk about politics at work. Right? Despite that, I could tell you without hesitancy the political leanings of everyone in the office. Although they probably couldn't tell you mine. Because mine, like me, are not simple. But my feelings right now, about the results of the last TWO YEARS of campaigning, are pretty easy to put forth:


The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing.

I find that the theme of my time in Austin so far has been one of reminding myself that God is in control.  God did not sit up in heaven, watching the polls come in going "I wonder who they will pick!  Oh, what will I do?"  God has this planned out.  From beginning to the end.  Alpha, Omega.  God plans for big things like nations and little things like me getting a job or taking the GRE.  God is in control.

No comments: