Thursday, March 13, 2008

So, this week I've got a new job - and it may just be the best one yet. I'm not sure why this position was called a "receptionist" - because that's not anything like what I do. I am working in the Rotman MBA program's Admission & Recruitment office. It is an amazingly fulfilling job. Which, just goes to say, "I told you so!" Well, maybe not you specifically, but I certainly told many people that I'd like working for a university department office. And boy, oh boy do I enjoy it. The really interesting thing is that, it is the intangibles that make this job better than all the rest. I've actually had jobs that pay more, jobs with better perks (i.e. free coffee, sodas & lots of gourmet food.), and jobs where I had a more comfortable chair, much more free time and many other things that other people might consider good. But this job makes me feel good. I am Making Things Right, Working for the Little Man, being the Only Voice that many prospective students have.

This is a good feeling. I am working intensely, thoroughly and doing much more than I have in other jobs. There is a regular banter between myself and the other lady in my office regarding the stupidity of people who send e-mails asking questions of an MBA program. I mean, they're trying to get an MBA...and about 50% of the e-mails we get I copy-paste replies direct from the website! That they HAD to have visited to get the e-mail address. Sheesh.

But then there are people like the lovely young lady whose only fault is that she took her degree in Mexico. Her English is better than many people who may get into our program this year, but she still has to take the TOEFL...and therefore can't get into the program she wants to apply for. Such sorrow! And all because of a test date!

All that to say, I like my job. Because it is fulfilling. And also, and I have to say, this is a factor, I think this job may last me a good long time...maybe until we leave this here country.

1 comment:

Doing Better Than I Deserve said...

Coach Ken Carter says that at our jobs we should "...do more than you are paid to do as an investment in the future...".

Blessed is the (wo)man who feels motivated to do that by the nature of the job.