Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Unicorns are Extinct

If I were to ask you what you thought unicorns represent, what would you say? My first response is purity. Unicorns, like purity, are almost extinct. Unicorns exist in our minds, in our imaginations, but not at all in the real, physical world.

Purity exists only in God. (James 1:17 - Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.)

So, these two things cannot be seen, touched or interacted with in our physical world. But they are things we strive for. What human being does not crave purity? What little girl does not want a unicorn?

I certainly wanted a unicorn when I was little. Why I thought a horse with a sharp pointy thing on its head would be better than a regular horse, I don't know. But the truth of the matter is, unicorns poop rainbows, have self-brushing hair and are always refreshingly fast, but never stubborn. Nor do they require feeding, for they dine on sunshine. As someone who regularly partakes of a diet of sunshine, I knew this was not only possible, but true.

Even to this day, the concept of a unicorn appeals to me. I imagine their hooves would jingle melodically, they would never require saddling and would always be very, very fast. I would gladly commute via unicorn, because the unicorn would know the way to work and I could just sit and read whilst I rode.

---This Unicorn Themed Post is brought to you by Hannah Sillily Asking Scott What She Should Blog About. I promise to ask someone else next time I can't come up with something.----

I certainly want purity still. This is why I clean, this is why I strive to be better, to do better, to live BETTER. Because I know I am not pure, but I seek after it. And when I can't find perfection - I settle for second best. Luckily, eventually, I will get this perfection. Someday God will take me and make me perfect. But, even better - God loves me now. And He, who is pure and perfect, does not need me to make myself perfect - but instead is completing this work in me, through His Son, even now.

No comments: